Monday, October 20, 2014

A Review of NAO by an Unknown Graduate

A graduate of National Academy of Osteopathy posted this review. We do not know who he/she is however.

We are thankful for the NAO graduate to take the time to review our school. It is much appreciated. We want to add that we now teach visceral manipulation, cranial osteopathy, myofascial release technique, strain/counterstrain, and also increased teaching on osteopathic diagnosis, static and motion joint play amongst others. 

And this is the first time we see that a student was not happy with Dr Habibinia's lectures as he is one of our most popular professors and everyone loves his lectures!

This is the edited version of the post, as most of the schools & association names have been deleted. Deletion is marked as "..............................."

I've wanted to review the NAO (National Academy of Osteopathy) for some time. I am a graduate of the DOMP (Diploma in Osteopathic Manual Practice) program, and will be as honest as I can. I did my research when choosing a school. I talked to NAO grads, ................................................................................, as well as students within the programs.

I had considered factors such as length of program, reputation of program, cost, and associations available to grads. What I found is the ................................................................., and they too require a $2000 registration fee for their association, in addition to the $9000/year (4 or 5 years). The reputation in the field is quite positive............................................................ Talking to some students, the concerns mentioned include too much focus on theory, a push around what were described as "moral" philosophies, and a high turn over of profs.

....................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................

Then came NAO. I did the same as the other.......... schools. I received a treatment by one of the grads and asked general questions about osteopathy and the course. All were satisfactory. Actually the practitioner was very good and praised the program.

I decided on NAO. I felt at $6000 and a 9 month commitment I couldn't go wrong. The program itself was good. It was well laid out and organized. I really enjoyed the online demonstrations or video instructions. Dr. Pourgol was positive and energetic. He really does have a passion about osteopathy profession, and increasing the profile/ awareness of Osteopathy. Amir Kazemi has great technique, but I found him adequate as a teacher. Dr. Habibinia was the only one I really was disappointed in.. I felt he wasn't knowledgeable. I am sure he is, however I just didn't get engaged during his lectures at all.

I wish there was a Visceral Osteopathy component (which I understand is now part of the curriculum), and more emphasis on sacral and cranial osteopathy, and myofascial release techniques. I did find the course very ORTHOPEDIC based and Chiro geared with the techniques. These were all very well taught and effective in practice. I felt there could have been an introduction to soft skills, soft palpation, an appreciation for the "feel" of the body. Again, just my opinion.

There was absolutely NO pressure to do any of the so called "Board Exams". It had been suggested to take the exam, however I felt that $2000 was better allocated to join an Association.

ALSO, very few claims will be accepted by insurance companies if you are not part of an association. It DOES NOT matter what school you go to. Do your homework before hand. ..................................................................., and OOAMA (Ontario Osteopathic & Alternative Medicine Association) are in my opinion the best...............................................................

SUMMARY.. I am very pleased with my decision to attend NAO. At a fraction of the price you receive the same designation as other schools. I am a member of OOAMA and bill all insurance companies. I have only had issues with GWL (Great West Life), all other insurance companies so far have been great.

The program is what it is. I have a health care background and have been using craniaosacral, myofascial release and other techniques for years. I have taken the initiative to take other courses including modules .......................................... (highly recommended). Practice, Practice, Practice.

NAO has ruffled a lot of feathers. You will read and hear many negative comments because Dr. Pourgol challenged the way things have always been. However, NAO program has grown and appears to continue to grow since my time. I feel that is a huge positive. Remember the most dangerous phrase in the English language "We've always done it this way". That does not reflect NAO

As with anything else, no one cares where your piece of paper comes from. Approach osteopathy with empathy, respect, hard work. Your patients will sense this and refer everyone they know. More importantly, they will appreciate your skill set and your ability to help with whatever issue they come to you with.. Cheers



No comments:

Post a Comment