Monday, October 20, 2014

A Review of NAO by an Unknown Graduate

A graduate of National Academy of Osteopathy posted this review. We do not know who he/she is however.

We are thankful for the NAO graduate to take the time to review our school. It is much appreciated. We want to add that we now teach visceral manipulation, cranial osteopathy, myofascial release technique, strain/counterstrain, and also increased teaching on osteopathic diagnosis, static and motion joint play amongst others. 

And this is the first time we see that a student was not happy with Dr Habibinia's lectures as he is one of our most popular professors and everyone loves his lectures!

This is the edited version of the post, as most of the schools & association names have been deleted. Deletion is marked as "..............................."

I've wanted to review the NAO (National Academy of Osteopathy) for some time. I am a graduate of the DOMP (Diploma in Osteopathic Manual Practice) program, and will be as honest as I can. I did my research when choosing a school. I talked to NAO grads, ................................................................................, as well as students within the programs.

I had considered factors such as length of program, reputation of program, cost, and associations available to grads. What I found is the ................................................................., and they too require a $2000 registration fee for their association, in addition to the $9000/year (4 or 5 years). The reputation in the field is quite positive............................................................ Talking to some students, the concerns mentioned include too much focus on theory, a push around what were described as "moral" philosophies, and a high turn over of profs.

....................................................................................................................................................................
....................................................................................................................................................................

Then came NAO. I did the same as the other.......... schools. I received a treatment by one of the grads and asked general questions about osteopathy and the course. All were satisfactory. Actually the practitioner was very good and praised the program.

I decided on NAO. I felt at $6000 and a 9 month commitment I couldn't go wrong. The program itself was good. It was well laid out and organized. I really enjoyed the online demonstrations or video instructions. Dr. Pourgol was positive and energetic. He really does have a passion about osteopathy profession, and increasing the profile/ awareness of Osteopathy. Amir Kazemi has great technique, but I found him adequate as a teacher. Dr. Habibinia was the only one I really was disappointed in.. I felt he wasn't knowledgeable. I am sure he is, however I just didn't get engaged during his lectures at all.

I wish there was a Visceral Osteopathy component (which I understand is now part of the curriculum), and more emphasis on sacral and cranial osteopathy, and myofascial release techniques. I did find the course very ORTHOPEDIC based and Chiro geared with the techniques. These were all very well taught and effective in practice. I felt there could have been an introduction to soft skills, soft palpation, an appreciation for the "feel" of the body. Again, just my opinion.

There was absolutely NO pressure to do any of the so called "Board Exams". It had been suggested to take the exam, however I felt that $2000 was better allocated to join an Association.

ALSO, very few claims will be accepted by insurance companies if you are not part of an association. It DOES NOT matter what school you go to. Do your homework before hand. ..................................................................., and OOAMA (Ontario Osteopathic & Alternative Medicine Association) are in my opinion the best...............................................................

SUMMARY.. I am very pleased with my decision to attend NAO. At a fraction of the price you receive the same designation as other schools. I am a member of OOAMA and bill all insurance companies. I have only had issues with GWL (Great West Life), all other insurance companies so far have been great.

The program is what it is. I have a health care background and have been using craniaosacral, myofascial release and other techniques for years. I have taken the initiative to take other courses including modules .......................................... (highly recommended). Practice, Practice, Practice.

NAO has ruffled a lot of feathers. You will read and hear many negative comments because Dr. Pourgol challenged the way things have always been. However, NAO program has grown and appears to continue to grow since my time. I feel that is a huge positive. Remember the most dangerous phrase in the English language "We've always done it this way". That does not reflect NAO

As with anything else, no one cares where your piece of paper comes from. Approach osteopathy with empathy, respect, hard work. Your patients will sense this and refer everyone they know. More importantly, they will appreciate your skill set and your ability to help with whatever issue they come to you with.. Cheers



1 comment:

  1. There is an extensive public regulatory record concerning Shahin Pourgol in Ontario. This is not based on rumours, social-media allegations, or personal opinion. The relevant information is published by the College of Chiropractors of Ontario (CCO) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO).
    Mr. Pourgol was formerly registered as a chiropractor with the College of Chiropractors of Ontario. In disciplinary proceedings arising from a complaint concerning his use of the protected title “osteopath” and advertising connected with the National Academy of Osteopathy, the CCO found that he had used the title “osteopath” and had held himself out as qualified to practise in Ontario as an osteopath even though he was not a member of the CPSO. The CCO expressly noted that, under section 9 of Ontario’s Medicine Act, 1991, the title “osteopath” is protected and may only be used in the manner permitted by that legislation. [Source: CCO 2014 Annual Report]
    The CCO record further states that Mr. Pourgol admitted that certain advertising was false and misleading. In particular, the CCO reported that advertising suggested that an organization associated with his school could issue a licence required to practise osteopathy or manual osteopathy in Ontario. The disciplinary record states that he admitted this advertising was false and misleading because that organization could not license people to practise osteopathy in Ontario and such a licence was not required to practise manual osteopathy. [Source: CCO 2014 Annual Report]
    The Discipline Panel found that Mr. Pourgol committed acts of professional misconduct, including breaching the CCO's advertising standards and breaching section 9 of the Medicine Act by using the title “osteopath” and holding himself out as qualified to practise as an osteopath when he was not a CPSO member. The CCO described the conduct relating to the advertising and use of the osteopath title as conduct that could reasonably be regarded as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional. [Source: CCO 2014 Annual Report]
    The penalty was significant. The CCO ordered a six-month suspension of his chiropractic certificate of registration. Conditions were imposed stating that he was not to use the title “osteopath,” was not to hold himself out as qualified to practise as an osteopath in Ontario, was not to use the title while providing or offering health care and was not to perform specified controlled acts. Most importantly, the order required him to resign his membership with the College of Chiropractors of Ontario within six months. He was also ordered to pay $15,000 in costs. [Source: CCO 2014 Annual Report]
    It is therefore more accurate to say that Mr. Pourgol did not simply “voluntarily retire” from chiropractic practice in the ordinary sense. His resignation followed a disciplinary proceeding and was expressly required as part of the disciplinary disposition. The later CPSO undertaking confirms that he resigned his certificate of registration with the CCO in 2014 and was no longer a member of the CCO or any other regulated health profession in Ontario. [Source: CPSO Undertaking]
    The matter did not end with the chiropractic regulator. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario subsequently investigated Mr. Pourgol concerning whether he was operating contrary to the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991 and the Medicine Act, 1991. In the undertaking signed with the CPSO, Mr. Pourgol acknowledged that the CPSO had previously advised him in 2015 that he was operating in contravention of the RHPA. [Source: CPSO Undertaking]
    Mr. Pourgol also expressly acknowledged in the CPSO undertaking that he did not provide or offer health care in Ontario or elsewhere in Canada and specifically stated that he did not practise chiropractic or osteopathic medicine in Canada. He acknowledged the earlier CCO discipline proceeding concerning his use of the title “osteopath” and acknowledged his resignation from the CCO. [Source: CPSO Undertaking]

    ReplyDelete