Monday, August 7, 2017

Osteopathic Education for High School Graduates

Did you know 56% of our alumni are high school graduates without prior health education?

Kurina Muller, a 20 years old student of National Academy of Osteopathy from Fort Saint John, British Columbia (Canada) is one of them. Here she writes about why she chose to study osteopathy:

When I began my journey to find my ideal career, I never expected it would be in the world of medicine. There were many factors that influenced my decision to become a manual osteopath, including the type of people I would be working with, the ability to still continue my education after years of working in the same field, and the general philosophies and principles behind the profession. That's what I was looking for: a profession. Not a 9 - 5 job that I would mentally clock out of an hour early, but a career that I was proud to say I was a part of; something I looked forward to and something I would continue to look forward to in ten years time.

There are countless career choices, but very few that involve the flexibility and modifiable aspects like osteopathy. It involves working one- on- one with patients, but not in the rushed manner that many medical professions present. As a manual osteopath we are taught to utilize our time with every patient; always adding a little extra time to each appointment to ensure the patient leaves with the reassurance that they have been treated with the best care possible. While being in a tight time- frame may keep you on your toes, at the end of the day I enjoy the feeling that I was thorough and complete with what I accomplished.

In addition to a relaxed work environment, as a manual osteopath the possibilities are endless. With experience you can open your own clinic, work alongside MDs, chiropractors, and other therapists, assist professional athletes in their abilities to remain active, or even just work out of your home. You can also gear your client base to suit your personal preferences, instead of spending hours treating patients while your mind wonders elsewhere. Receiving your manual osteopathy license opens you to a world of potential, with nothing holding you back.

The job of a manual osteopath includes much problem- solving. From one patient to another, one part of the body to the next, each contains their own set of complications and complexities to treat or work around. The brain is a muscle too, and needs to be exercised just as much as any other part of the body, and a job that constantly keeps me problem- solving is a job that makes the work day fly by.

The final quality that drew me to osteopathy was the holistic approach, while also consisting of a solid scientific foundation. As a manual osteopath, you can continue on to obtaining a DO (doctor of osteopathy) degree, or expand your knowledge in the medical field by studying other types of therapies and applying them in your practice. No matter what direction you decide to go with osteopathy, there will always be a patient somewhere who will utilize and appreciate your expertise.

As a 20 year old just joining the working and medical word, the possibilities and places osteopathy will take me in my future are the very reason I chose it. Without tying me down to a dead end job, osteopathy keeps me excited to see where I will be ten months from now, and eager to discover where I will be ten years from now.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment