Friday, August 4, 2017

2000 Manual Osteopaths in the States


Did you know there are about 2000 osteopathic manual practitioners in the states?

American therapist, Johanna Kenworthy (currently living in Montreal, Canada) is one of them. This is part of a post she published about why she chose to study osteopathy at NAO.

I needed a strong curriculum, accreditation, plus a manageable time frame and affordable fees. I also needed a program that I could integrate into my already busy schedule. Although I found many options only the National Academy of Osteopathy (NAO) met all of my criteria.

Not only is the NAO’s Diploma in Osteopathic Manual Practice a recognized professional accreditation in Canada but it expands my ability to bring a new knowledgeable, balanced, well-rounded approach to my clients back in the US. The training I’m receiving in osteopathy-specific manual techniques is an aspect of treatment that was missing in my practice prior to attending the NAO.

Through the connections of NAO immediately together we found an internship at a health and fitness clinic in Montreal, BTT West Island where Frederic Koomsatira, who is a former student of the NAO programming, owns and operates a student clinic out of his business. His clinic has been a refreshing and comforting place to be working side by side with other NAO practitioners in various programs.

I've continued working in the US to fulfill the hands on criteria of our program at my personal office as well as the student clinic in Montreal while taking online courses. In Quebec the language criteria is that everyone speaks French in order to work and you guessed right, I don't speak French.
Thanks to Fred and his clinic once again where most clients are bilingual and our ability to understand one another is one step closer to their health and well being! I feel blessed to have had as many opportunities as barriers cross my path these past six months.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment