Wednesday, May 24, 2023

A beautiful post from NAO student from New Brunswick, Alexandra Wilson

 

Basically the two people who were initial catalysts that put me on the path I am right now in life. I didn’t really know EXACTLY where I wanted to go, but I did know that my Bachelor of Arts degree wasn’t doing anything for my professional life. I knew I wanted to do something in the health field, because I have seen firsthand how chronic pain keeps you from your potential, and I know many struggle with it and bodily disfunction.
Originally, I wanted to be a chiropractor, but I also didn’t really know if anything else was actually out there. I happened to research and learned of osteopathy, which is currently a completely invisible health option in Fredericton, New Brunswick, and MOSTLY unheard of within the province. Even within NB’s local medical and manual therapy communities, DOMPs **and** DOs are not understood. It’s mostly “transplants” from bigger cities that know of our growing professions (anything with “osteo” in the name, really), not the locals.
I want to support myself (and dreams), care for my mother, and financially support causes I care about, and NAO has taught me the science behind our healthful techniques and ideologies, while also, UNIQUELY, teaching us how to have business “hustle,” and smarts, that Dr. Pourgol has honed over decades. Through his own research and mistakes, he is attempting to save us from the same follies, allowing us to concentrate more on the important aspects of life: having the means to appreciate more opportunities, and give back to our areas, to build a better Canada through successful business people, manual practitioners, and healthier people.
Dr. Pourgol may be the first member of NAO’s team of highly experienced, and diversely educated teaching team of doctors and practitioners, but it’s important to recognize that he is the first of many who have invested themselves, directly and indirectly, to students’ growth.
Another person to thank is Stephanie Lim (the Nao Registrar), who seems to be the heart of NAO and its daily operations. She may not be teaching, but she is doing so many things for everyone in her quiet end of the academy.
… SHE ALONE is actually to thank for me CHOOSING this little campus as my school, and DOMP as my profession of choice. Online was overwhelming, and it’s hard to really describe an adequate definition for DOMP (since we can do so much for people), so many online job descriptions were lacking and contradictory… yet she “convinced” me of NAO’s quality, message and scope through her enthusiasm, understanding of my worries/confusion, experience with NAO and her huge amount of knowledge regarding everything that makes NAO what it is. She’s the one who answers the phone calls, emails and Facebook messages for NAO, so…. She’s a lot like the literal heart of our school, and she has contributed just as much to the NAO experience all of our instructors, just behind the scenes. She doesn’t work hard for praise, but for results she (seems) to take pride in.
Thank you to ALL OF MY INSTRUCTORS AND CLASSMATES, especially those with health backgrounds that were patient with my lack of experience, and kindly helped me for naught in return. I’m TERRIBLE with names, (and many people’s names I don’t want to misspell), but know I will remember the important things you have given me: memories, knowledge, and your time.
To all that have helped (at least) me, I hope I can become a DOMP worthy of your efforts to help/teach me.
And there’s my rant! Sorry to anyone who thinks I’m being a “brown-noser”, but I’m someone who believes in being humble, showing gratitude (and being actively grateful), the general importance of communication and letting people KNOW of the existence of possible, beneficial paths they can take in life… and that you are not a failure if it takes you until 30, or older, to become successful.
I had to really LOOK to find a profession right for me. New professions are being created all the time, and there are many we don’t even realize exist (NAO opened the year I graduated high school… no way little NB was going to have many aware of what osteo even is/was!).
Good luck to everyone graduating tomorrow! I look forward to your future accomplishments as osteopaths, and health professionals.




No comments:

Post a Comment